California CCW Requirements
The Police Department issues permits to carry a concealed weapon, and provides for the yearly renewals of issued permits, only to those residents who have satisfied the following established criteria:
- The applicant must be a resident of the City of Stockton.
- The applicant must be at least 21 years of age.
- The applicant must submit a fully completed application that includes substantial personal information. Much of the information in the application may be subject to public access under the Public Records Act.
- The applicant must be free from criminal convictions that would disqualify the applicant from carrying a concealed weapon. Fingerprints will be required and a complete criminal background check will be conducted.
- The applicant must be of good moral character.
- The applicant must show good cause for the issuance of the license, including facts establishing there is a clear and present danger to the life or personal safety of the applicant necessitating the carrying of a concealed weapon, and there are no other reasonable means whereby the personal safety of the applicant can be assured.
- The applicant must pay all associated application fees. These fees are set by statute and City Council resolution and will not be refunded if the application is denied.
- The applicant must provide proof of ownership and registration of any weapon to be licensed for concealment.
- The applicant must provide at least three letters of character reference, other than immediate family members.
- The applicant must be free from any medical and psychological conditions that might make the applicant unsuitable for carrying a concealed weapon.
- The applicant must complete all required training.
CCW License Fees
- State Processing Fee, $93.00. (Must be paid in full with application.)
- City Fee, $95.00. (20% due with application=$19.00)
- Fingerprint Fee, $20.50. (20% due with application=$4.10)
- Total Fees, $208.50.
- Fees due with application, $116.10. (Pre-paid)
- Balance due at issuance of CCW $92.40.
Where to Apply for a CCW License
If you live within a jurisdiction of a city police department, you may apply to the city police department or county sheriff's office for a CCW license. However, only residents of a city may apply to a city's police department for a CCW license. The agency can answer your questions and provide you with copies of their CCW policy statement and the State's Standardized CCW Application.
In the City of Stockton, you may begin the application process by printing an application from our web page and submitting it to:
Stockton Police Department
22 E. Market Street
Stockton, CA 95822
Monday through Thursday - 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Every other Friday - 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
You may also download an application electronically by clicking on the application link here. The application is 20 pages.
CCW Licenses - Other States
If you would like further information on the State of California CCW law, including whether or not California law recognizes CCW licenses issued by other states, please click on the External Links below to take you to the State of California Department of Justice (DOJ) web site.
This City of Stockton web page last reviewed on --- 3/19/2013