Learn more about opportunities to volunteer in our community.
If you would like to be notified of City volunteer opportunities, please take a moment to subscribe to email notifications. Use this link and look for the category Community Involvement - Volunteer Stockton.
Adopt Our City
The City of Stockton is always looking for dedicated individuals or groups to adopt parks, streets, trees, or areas that need care and maintenance. To apply, please contact the City of Stockton Public Works Department.
Many community organizations also work with volunteers. To volunteer at any of the following community-based organizations, please contact them directly.
- American Cancer Society Discovery Shop: volunteers needed for a variety of positions at the Discovery Shop, 207 E. Alpine Ave. To learn more, please call Jackie Ronzone at (209) 941-2737.
- American Diabetes Association-San Joaquin Chapter: needs help with a variety of office and fund-raising projects; for more information, please call (209) 472-2080.
- American Lung Association: volunteers needed to assist in programs such as the distribution of educational materials at health fairs, educating youth and adults in schools and businesses, and assisting staff with fund-raising activities. For more information, please call (209) 478-1888.
- American Red Cross: volunteers are needed throughout San Joaquin County for responding to home fires and natural disasters, helping communities prepare for disasters, and supporting blood donations. The link to the website is under External Links below.
- Arc-San Joaquin: serving persons with developmental disabilities and their families since 1954. For more information, please call (209) 955-1625.
- Armchair Travelers: share a national or international trip with 40 senior citizens at Delta College. For more information, please call Dot Robinson at (209) 957-5427.
- AseraCare Hospice: learn how to be a comfort to a dying person and their loved ones. To learn more, please call (209) 474-8349.
- Assistance League of Stockton: volunteer on several philanthropic programs including Operation School Bell, annually dressing approximately 1,200 school children in need; Kids on the Block puppets, teaching safety and tolerance; Comfort Kit, providing personal items for children in foster care; and Book Buddies, tutoring 2nd graders in reading and basic phonics. To learn more, please call (209) 466-8386.
- Bristol Hospice: learn how you can help be a part of a family-centered approach in the delivery of end-of-life hospice services. Must be 18 or older. Please call (209) 473-3650
- Camlu Retirement Community: volunteer for the garden fitness walk, board games, cards, sing-a-longs, or just socializing. For more information, please call (209) 951-2030.
- Catholic Charities: needs volunteers to become companions to home-bound seniors. To learn more, please call (209) 948-1582.
- Community Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired: arts and crafts and local trips with clients. Located at 2453 Grand Canal Blvd., Suite 5. For more information, please call (209) 466-3836.
- Court Appointed Special Advocates: become a trained volunteer who researches cases, interviews parties involved, makes recommendations to the court, and lends support to children. For more information, please call (209) 644-5347.
- Dameron Hospital Auxiliary: openings available at the coffee cart, reception desk, surgery information desk, and gift shop in sales. If you prefer sewing or making crafts, openings in boutique gifts or puppets. To learn more, please call (209) 461-3152 and ask for the front desk.
- Delta Blood Bank: volunteer drivers needed to transport units of blood to the Stockton Laboratory, 65 N. Commerce St., and to local hospitals. For more information, please call (209) 473-6471.
- Dispute Resolution Services: volunteers needed to serve as mediators. Please call (209) 474-8794. For more information, please use the link provided under External Links at the bottom of this webpage.
- Emergency Food Bank: volunteers needed for office/clerical work, truck driving, general warehouse, and food handling. Please call (209) 464-7369.
- Golden Haven Residential Care Facility: volunteer opportunities for those willing to help Alzheimer's patients; please call (209) 464-4743.
- Gospel Center Rescue Mission: for more information, please visit 445 S. San Joaquin St.
- Haggin Museum: docents needed to welcome visitors and provide tours of galleries. Please call (209) 940-6315.
- Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP): volunteers needed as counselors to help medical beneficiaries navigate Medicare issues. Counseling sites in Lodi, Manteca, and Stockton. For more information, please call (209) 470-7812.
- Hospice Preferred Choice: applications are being accepted for volunteers to visit terminally ill adults and their families in the Stockton and Lodi area; please call (209) 467-8902.
- Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program: Department of Aging is seeking volunteers to assist people residing in long-term care facilities. Volunteers are trained and state-certified to investigate and resolve problems for residents in long-term care facilities and to serve as mediators for complaints related to residents' rights, finances, abuse, diets, exploitation, neglect, Advanced Health Care Directives, and other concerns. Please call (209) 468-3785.
- Meadowood Health and Rehab Center: located on the same campus as O'Connor Woods, 3110 Wagner Heights Road. For more information, please call (209) 956-3444.
- Road to Recovery Program: needs drivers to transport cancer patients to and from treatments. For more information, please call (209) 941-2679.
- S.T.A.R.S.: Sheriff's Team of Active Retired Seniors is looking for volunteers. Must be 50 or older. Please call (209) 468-4622 or (209) 468-4469.
- St. Joseph's Medical Center: assist with visitor information, mail, newspaper, and flower delivery to patients; patient transport to rooms or X-rays; assist in the gift shop. Please call (209) 467-6527.
- St. Mary's Interfaith Dining Room: needs kitchen helpers; clothes sorters/distributors in women's/men's departments; volunteer doctors, dentists, nurses, and hygienists; interpreters; project organizers; gardeners. Please call (209) 467-0703.
- Stockton Animal Protection League: pet lovers to help at Adopt-A-Pet Center, 7475 Murray Drive, Suite 19; for pet adoption counseling, animal care and transport, general office duties, special event planning, and temporary foster homes for puppies and kittens. For more information, please call (209) 956-3647 or use the link provided under External Links at the bottom of this webpage.
- Stockton Interfaith Caregiver Program: provide volunteer assistance for seniors 60 and older who live at home and want to maintain their independence, dignity, and quality of life. Please call (209) 461-5112.
- Stockton Shelter for the Homeless: volunteers for painting, cooking, arts and crafts, storytime. For more information, please call (209) 465-3612.
- Stockton Symphony: volunteers for mailing, instrument petting zoos. and other events. For more information, please call (209) 951-0196.
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: free volunteer website for those offering volunteer opportunities and those seeking volunteer opportunities in the community. The link to the volunteer website is under External Links below.
- Valley Gardens Health Care Center: read to residents, provide one-on-one visits, write letters or play music. For more information, please call (209) 957-4539.
- Volunteers in Police Service (VIPS): support day-to-day operations of the department. For more information, please call (209) 937-8477.
American Red Cross
Dispute Resolution Services
Gospel Center Rescue Mission
Stockton Animal Protection League
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
This City of Stockton web page last reviewed on --- 3/15/2023